[lbo-talk] a poe moe and da poe moes

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Mon Jul 28 12:25:43 PDT 2008

> wrobert
>
> Foucault is obviously in touch with this mode of thinking and is a
> historical materialist (although perhaps not a Marxist)
>
> ^^^
> CB: Aren't "historical materialist "and "Marxist" the same ? What
> would such an "historical materialist" disagree with Marxism about ?
> ^^^^

My view is that marxism is a form of historical materialism, but one doesn't have to be marxist to be a historical materialist. Two examples that come to mind are the annales school and the world systems theorists. Coincidentally, these folks (as well as Foucault) all seriously engage with Marx, and I'm not sure that it is possible to be historical materialist without this engagement. robert wood