[lbo-talk] a poe moe and da poe moes

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Mon Jul 28 14:13:37 PDT 2008

>>> <wrobert at uci.edu>

My view is that marxism is a form of historical materialism, but one doesn't have to be marxist to be a historical materialist. Two examples that come to mind are the annales school and the world systems theorists. Coincidentally, these folks (as well as Foucault) all seriously engage with Marx, and I'm not sure that it is possible to be historical materialist without this engagement. robert wood

^^^^^ CB: Interesting. What are you thinking of as a definition of historical materialism ? I think of it as subscribing to the thesis of _The Manifesto of the Communist Party_.