[lbo-talk] a poe moe and da poe moes

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Mon Jul 28 14:29:15 PDT 2008

I don't know. Some how commodity fetishism doesn't seem to be a leap away from alienation. I mean just intuitively at this point. Give me a minute to think about it, and I'll argue it.

The commodity fetish infuses things-commodities with people like qualities, and people with thing like qualities. It is an inverted form of consciousness. Alienation is also treating people like things - inverted consciousness. Alienation and commodity fetish both involve inverted consciousness with respect to people and things. People become things , objects, controlled by things that "become" like people, subjects.

Anyway, in _Capital_ Marx still seems to discuss alienation of workers from the fruits of their labor. The workers' work produces capital which oppresses them. They become objects to their products as subjects. The more they produce , the more they are oppressed by their product. It's analogous , still, to God as alienated man. To say _Capital_ does not detail a process of alienation doesn't ring true.

Charles

>>> <wrobert at uci.edu> 07/28/2008 3:29 PM >>>
If one were interested, Althusser's essay "The Humanist Controversy" would be a good place to go. According to Balibar, Althusser wound up shifting his position as he got older and thought that Marx never fully made the epistemological leap that was emphasized in his early work (although their was a profound shift in his thinking. Balibar's Philosophy of Marx is another interesting essay dealing with this question. He links up this question with the shift to fetishism. robert wood