[lbo-talk] a poe moe and da poe moes

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Jul 28 15:05:09 PDT 2008

At 05:34 PM 7/28/2008, Seth Ackerman wrote:

>>although
>>this determination is by no means total or unilateral.
>
>...in the same sentence. How can our ability to engage with the world be
>"completely" socially determined, yet at the same time this determination
>can be "by no means total"?

a quickie coz i have a bunch of crap to do. in sociology, the terms we have devised to speak about this are socialization and individuation.

we are completely social determined, but because of the complex dvision of labor (for just one example) society is very complex. the more complex society becomes, the more likely i'm going to have very unique -- individuated -- experiences that will shape me.

in other words, living in a less complex society, i will only have so many different types of experience. only one set of religious rites to attend. in a more complex society, that's not the case.

in which case, although we are all socialized, this complexity increasingly makes us feel extremely individuated.

You went to Cornell?

Really?

Wow?

And then there is an exchange of 'remember whens' or experiences that are often common (the clock for example). and yet, someone who goes to the history department will experience cornell slightly differently than someone in the lit department than someone in the vet school than someone at the ag school etc.

(and this extreme individuation, the argument goes, is was also pushed us into the whole phenom of things like blogging, facebook, as places to display that individuated existence collectively so we can be unique snowflakes.

just like everybody else.

so, in another subdiscipline of sociology, we have a way of accounting for this phenom. I gotta run now but maybe robert and miles can relate this to foucault in a way i can't. i don't have books and i feel really bad not pulling quotes as illustration.

shag