[lbo-talk] portland / seattle?

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Mon Jul 28 20:38:54 PDT 2008

shag wrote:
> thoughts?
>
> I'm trying to negotiate contracting rates with this staffing agency for
> microsoft and the dude is driving me totally bonkers because I keep
> telling him I can't fathom why I'd want to leave my current job to move
> to a place with a much higher standard of living for anything less than
> X/hr. dewd keeps calling anyway, with different positions, trying to get
> me to work for a crappy hourly rate.
>
> It's possible that I'm way off, but i don't think so....
>
> Anyway, I have a line on many other gigs out that way, both seattle and
> portland. What COL are we talking here? I'm seeing things like $750k
> median for homes. Gak. That's twice what it is here, and I'm living in a
> zip that is pricey -- though there are zips that are pricier.

Seattle and Portland are worlds apart in housing costs. About a year ago, I sold a stupid little 1000 square foot ranch house in a working class Portland neighborhood for 200k. You can probably do better now. Double that for Seattle.

750k would buy a very ritzy home in a very nice neighborhood in the Portland/Vancouver area. I'm happy living in a 1928 Craftsman that was just assessed at 220k.

Miles