[lbo-talk] lbo-talk Digest, Vol 577, Issue 1

Chris Sturr sturr at dollarsandsense.org
Tue Jul 29 16:31:47 PDT 2008

My impression is that among academic feminists/feminist theorists, the anti-porn contingent has been overcome (or at least is no longer the majority view). Still, analytic feminist philosophers continue to pursue the anti-porn stance, largely by working out Catharine MacKinnon's idea that porn is hate speech in terms of theories of speech acts (not so much J.L. Austin, but later developments of his work) from analytic philosophy of language.

I used to be part of the Boston-area Workshop on Gender and Philosophy (aka "WOGAP"), which was a wonderful group except for the volume of talks given in this anti-porn/speech act theory vein. The work was often extremely thoughtful, *except* for its politics. In talk after talk, as a regular consumer of gay male porn, I found that the arguments assumed so much, and just didn't compute in my experience. People were always willing to make exceptions for gay porn (when I brought it up), but I never saw how that was supposed to work. Why is it that something that is objectifying, and at the root of oppression for women, just fine for men? There was never an attempt to theorize sexuality and sexual identity in those discussions--just the assumption that *porn* *is* *bad* (with the unspoken suggestion that marginalized sex is bad--oh, but not the nice gay men who are our friends! or our lesbian sisters!), plus some fancy philosophical footwork to build up one's list of publications. (Ok--that was a little harsh. But the apolitical character of such e discussion in a *feminist* reading group was galling, though not so surprising given the depths of idealism that characterize analytic philosophy, whatever its other virtues, which really do exist.)

The saving grace was that the wonderful Nancy Bauer (of the philosophy department at Tufts) was a WOGAP member. Nancy has made it a side-area of her research to criticize this anti-porn line of thinking in analytic feminist philosophy, and to do so from the point of view of a nice blending of analytic and continental philosophy.

I was looking online to see whether any of Nancy's articles on the topic have been posted, and didn't find any, but I did find this posting (apparently posted in part by Nancy) from lbo-talk from 2000: http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2000/2000-November/021811.html --very apt in this discussion eight years later.