[lbo-talk] Old Unx Geek Question

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Jul 29 17:49:13 PDT 2008

Forwarding this along in case anyone here might know or remember this article he's asking about.

Hi,

I am an old ex-geek (non-active). Hello to everyone.

I have a question I do not expect you to know or remember but my memory is horrendous.

Steve Jobs wrote an opinion piece that was prophetic in the late 80s to mid-nineties (my guess, 1991 to 1993) called something like "Is Unix The Last Operating System" or "The Last Operating System" in which he argued that Unix was just becoming an API and he bashed Unix engineers in a way that I was very insulted. I believe this was when he was at Next but way before product shipment.

It may have been in Unix Review or Computer Languages (I miss CL) but I think it may have been Unixworld (I can't remember but I think there was another Unix rag at the time).

I searched the Internet and old newsgroups via Goggle and cannot find anything. I cannot find a list of publications or articles by Steve Jobs, Steven Paul Job, Steven P. Jobs) etc. I AM SHOCKED that I could not find that somewhere but it wasn't spidered by Google.

Does anyone remember this article or what rag it was in and approximately when?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you know any old Unix Guru types, please forward this.

Kind Regards, Bob Pearson