[lbo-talk] Fox News poll/ 18 yr old at McCain rally:"Obama, like, *terrifies* me"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jul 31 15:13:43 PDT 2008

John Thornton wrote:

> Knowing the Republicans will try to scare the electorate is like knowing
> the sun will rise in the AM.
> It's the standard Republican tactic of fear-mongering.
> That said, if one were actually "terrified" of an Obama Presidency then
> it would follow that one would be absolutely shit-yourself petrified of
> a McCain Presidency.
> Imagine the US involved in helping a Georgian independence movement?
> Scary beyond words.
>
> Maybe someone can refresh my memory, has any other presidential
> candidate ever been accused of "acting too presidential"?

Well, after the election at least Dewey's defeat in '48 was ascribed to his acting too presidential! I don't remember whether some such charge was made during the campaign. I do remember that he did regularly act as though he were already in the White House. And on election night I didn't ven bother tostay up to listen to the returns -- everyone knew how it would turn out. (I was a Democrat at the time.)

Carrol