[lbo-talk] [Not sent] Re: What we lose in translation

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 31 23:04:11 PDT 2008

Well, Joyce's Ulysses was tried for obscenity in 1933 and held to be protected by both the trial court and the Second Circuit, One Book Entitled Ulysses by James Joyce, 72 F.2d 705, 706-07 (22d Cir. 1934) (L. Hand, J.), in an opinion by Judge Learned Hand, the greatest American judge never to sit on the Supreme Court. Hand rejected the rule that a work was obscene if it woulds tend to deprave a vulnerable child because that would take out a great swathe of the great works of literature (Chaucer! Rabelais! Balzac! -- to mention the "dirty books" singled out by the prudes in The Music Man 30 years later). So it's not so clear that A La Recherche in any translation would have been suppressed by 1930, anyway. Hand was a free speech relative radical in his day and his opinions went much further than the S.Ct ever did. Here he is on the "deprave a child" rule for obscenity from a 1913 district court opinion:

It seems hardly likely that we are even to-day so lukewarm in our interest in letters or serious discussion as to be content to reduce our treatment of sex to the standard of a child's library in the supposed interest of a salacious few, or that shame will for long prevent us from adequate portrayal of some of the most serious and beautiful sides of human nature.

Could that judge write or what? He wrote his own opinions too. Here he is in the Masses case adopting a position on advocacy of illegal conduct (seditious speech) the S.Ct could not approach for 50 years years, in Brandenberg v. Ohio:

Detestation of existing policies is easily transformed into forcible resistance of the authority which puts them in execution, and it would be folly to disregard the causal relation between the two. Yet to assimilate agitation, legitimate as such, with direct incitement to violent resistance, is to disregard the tolerance of all methods of political agitation which in normal times is a safeguard for free government. The distinction is not scholastic subterfuge, but a hard-bought acquisition in the fight for freedom.

Anyway, it is at least possible and perhaps likely that Proust would have survived contact with Learned Hand, who was on the Appellate Court by the time Scott-Montcrieff started publishing.

A dreadful confession: I have got 70 pages into Swann's Way about 10 times and no further. I can't do Proust. When I was a child with depraved tendencies I just read the "good" parts of Ulysses. I have read the whole thing -- once.