[lbo-talk] The Nation does CNA-SEIU

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 16:22:36 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Man, that's like a Republican talking point.

I'm sorry, what is? Organizing workers?

> How the
> workers fare over the long term is uncertain.

How so? In the largest and most successful of these campaigns, SEIU Local 880 won raises averaging 35% for 49,000 Illinois child care providers.

In the drive that marked my introduction to professional organizing, 28,000 New York City child care providers won collective bargaining rights and are still negotiating their first contract, which I hope will offer improvements that are at least comparable.

> But in any case, this
> has nothing to do with organizing the retail sector, which is a much
> bigger and more important nut to crack.

"Important" in what sense? Because improving the conditions in which people sell and buy stuff is more "important" than improving the conditions in which children experience their first years? I cannot begin to count the ways in which you are wrong.

You've previously apologized for union-busting; now you disparage union organizing. I only hope these discussions reflect your desire to score cheap points instead of your actual beliefs.