[lbo-talk] "Theory's Empire," an anti-"Theory" anthology

Nicholas Ruiz III editor at intertheory.org
Mon Jun 2 11:55:51 PDT 2008

--- Jerry Monaco <monacojerry at gmail.com> wrote:

"The so-called theories in these areas are simply ideological justifications that have little to do with the attempt to produce knowledge."

and...

"If anything Galileo's insights were 'theologically laden' and not 'theory laden.'"

Sounds like "knowledge" equals "science" in your worldview--a worldview that precludes, I suppose, the 'theory' that science is a particular epistemic category of knowledge, no? So art, religion, even a concept such as 'love'--none of these things would have any 'knowledge' value...but are instead, "ideological justifications"?

A hypothesis: knowledge as a 'word' is probably not synonymous with terms like "science" or the "scientific method"...

And I'd really be interested in your 'ideological justification' (or would that be a cultural theory or criticism?) regarding the difference between phrases like "theologically laden" and "theory laden"...

NRIII

=== message truncated ===

Dr. Nicholas Ruiz III Associate Professor Department of Humanities, Cultural and Studio Arts Daytona Beach College PO Box 2811 Daytona Beach, FL 32120-2811 Editor, Kritikos http://intertheory.org