[lbo-talk] "Theory's Empire," an anti-"Theory" anthology

Voyou voyou1 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 10:22:36 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 12:14 -0400, Charles Brown wrote:

> I doubt anyone who studies political theory or literary theory would
> disagree with your contention that " economics, politics, history,
> law,
> literature, are humanistic endeavors and are not ready, and may never
> be
> ready, for scientific theory making."
>
> ^^^^
> CB: Of course, many who study political theory would disagree with
> this. Pretending like Marxism doesn't exist ( as bourgeois

Well, can you name some?

> intellectuals did with Marx himself) won't make it go away. There is
> already a vast body of scientific theory and scientifically based
> practice of economics, politics , history , law , even literature.
> Marxism has a full critique of positivism.

The sense in which Marxism is "scientific" is much more complicated than you are suggesting here, though. I don't see anything in Marx which looks like a theory in the natural sciences, that is, a precisely (probably formally and mathematically) specified set of relationships between observable phenomena. What I do see in Marx is a generally systematic attempt to give an account of the relationship between the appearances and essences of certain phenomena, which employs both empirical investigation and philosophical concept-creation. Which you can consider scientific in a general sense, but it's such a general sense I don't see why it wouldn't also include Foucault (in any event setting up an opposition between Marxism and Foucault seems untenable to me - Foucault was one of the later 20th century's greatest Marxists).