[lbo-talk] The Nation does CNA-SEIU

Mark Rickling mrickling at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 18:26:11 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Man, that's like a Republican talking point.

I didn't realize that calling a putative progressive on retrograde, sexist arguments (i.e. Fitch's statement that homecare isn't real work) was a Republican thing. Good for them.

> A lot of the workers are family members who are
> compensated by public funds, right?

Don't get the point of mentioning this. I'm almost positive you're not extending Fitch's logic -- that is, homecare certainly is not real work if performed by a family member. Please explain.

> But in any case, this
> has nothing to do with organizing the retail sector, which is a much
> bigger and more important nut to crack.

I agree, as I have in the past on this list, but I'd say the private sector in general and not just retail is more important than organizing public sector workers. SEIU certainly dedicates the majority of its organizing resources to the private sector; we just haven't had as much success here as in the public sector.