[lbo-talk] The atheist delusion

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 3 13:24:40 PDT 2008

Jack Stewart wrote:
> Limiting myself to the European cultural tradition, and to the
> supernatural aspects of religion - I tend to accept that powerless
> people tend to emphasize the supernatural aspects of religion.
>
> I tend to view the different levels of political power between the
> average EU citizen versus the average U.S. citizen to be of some
> importance in explaining the cultural attitudes towards supernatural
> authority, as well as the social status of the "intellectual." IMO:
> Although the pile of democratic nations has been growing, when the
> ability of U.S. voters to influence their government is considered, the
> U.S. voter is close to the bottom of that pile!
>
> In some sense "god" and the state are related. Judah is a Greek term for
> a tribe and later a nation. The original root may be Yahweh. At the very
> least the written forms are very closely related.
>
> Of course as a democracy activist I am very biased.

I don't know of any studies that have demonstrated a correlation between persons feeling powerless and their emphasizing the supernatural. I have read studies that show a high degree of correlation between people who prefer objective black and white answers and their holding religious beliefs. Religion tends to be seen as an external immutable truth and people who have a preference for such a viewpoint are drawn to it. The standard objection in my experience is from those who practice some sort of Eastern religious philosophy that they believe emphasizes subjective internal truths. Eastern religious philosophy has for the most part emphasized the correct performance of various rituals and technical disciplines rather than personal subjective experience. That is a much more recent development.

John Thornton