[lbo-talk] NYSNA vs. SEIU1199

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jun 7 14:52:16 PDT 2008

On Jun 7, 2008, at 4:57 PM, Mark Rickling wrote:

> I knew they were working together -- the CNA and NYSNA -- but didn't
> know the latter had become an affiliate of the NNOC until I read a
> recent NY Sun story -- I assume the reporting is correct here:
>
> http://www.nysun.com/new-york/for-rival-nurses-unions-focus-is-far-
> from-healing/79473/

Including the bit (see article excerpt below) about the SEIU raiding? Or is not raiding if there's any hint of association with CNA/NNOC - then it's just retaliation?

Doug

For Rival Nurses Unions, Focus Is Far From Healing

By Staff Reporter of the Sun

June 6, 2008

A battle between two unions that represent nurses in New York is heating up, with each side accusing the other of raiding its membership rolls.

The New York State Nurses Association, which represents 36,000 registered nurses statewide, said 1199 SEIU has mounted a campaign in recent months to convince nurses to switch affiliations with tactics such as roaming hospitals to recruit new members, mostly during the night shift. Most recently, the union alleged, 1199 members ambushed its nurses at Peninsula Hospital Center in Queens, where nurses voted in May in favor of new representation. "It's a campaign of seduction and it's a campaign of deceit and it's what they do best," the New York State Nurses Association's director of collective bargaining, Lorraine Seidel, said on Friday.

Officials at 1199 SEIU, which represents 6,000 New York City nurses, said the opposite is true. Nurses at Peninsula sought 1199 representation on their own, they said. Further, the New York union has affiliated itself with a national union, the California Nurses Association/National Nurses Organizing Committee, an 80,000-member group that has clashed with the Service Employees International Union in recent months — particularly in Ohio, where SEIU accused it of "union busting."