[lbo-talk] Thoughts on Butler

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jun 8 10:59:03 PDT 2008

On Jun 8, 2008, at 2:33 PM, (Chuck Grimes) wrote:

> ``I am not doing away with the category, but trying to relieve the
> category of its foundationalist weight in order to render it as a site
> of permanent political contest...'' JB
>
> ``That's pretty great. How can anyone resist its charms?'' Doug

> Evidently quite a few people on the list can resist Butler's
> charm.
> On the other hand, the use of highly technical language limits the
> potential audience, and therefore contracts the public forum for
> discussions.

That passage is dense, in the sense of tightly packed and not merely hard to read, but you could make the point more clearly at probably three times the length. Which would be the way to do it if you're writing for a popular audience, but if you're writing an academic book, why not express it this concisely?

Doug