[lbo-talk] Thoughts on Butler

Seth Ackerman sethackerman1 at verizon.net
Sun Jun 8 16:25:54 PDT 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Jun 8, 2008, at 2:33 PM, (Chuck Grimes) wrote:
>

>> ``I am not doing away with the category, but trying to relieve the
>> category of its foundationalist weight in order to render it as a site
>> of permanent political contest...'' JB
>>
>> ``That's pretty great. How can anyone resist its charms?'' Doug
>>
>> -----------
>>
>> Evidently quite a few people on the list can resist Butler's
>> charm.
>> On the other hand, the use of highly technical language limits the
>> potential audience, and therefore contracts the public forum for
>> discussions.
>>

> That passage is dense, in the sense of tightly packed and not merely
> hard to read, but you could make the point more clearly at probably
> three times the length. Which would be the way to do it if you're
> writing for a popular audience, but if you're writing an academic
> book, why not express it this concisely?

Oh, it's about concision.

The sentence that won her the bad writing award was:

> The move from a structuralist account in which capital is understood to
> structure social relations in relatively homologous ways to a view of
> hegemony
> in which power relations are subject to repetition, convergence, and
> rearticulation brought the question of temporality into the thinking
> of structure,
> and marked a shift from a form of Althusserian theory that takes
> structural
> totalities as theoretical objects to one in which the insights into
> the contingent
> possibility of structure inaugurate a renewed conception of hegemony
> as bound
> up with the contingent sites and strategies of the rearticulation of power

I had no idea what that meant until Martha Nussbaum translated it far more concisely as:

> Marxist accounts, focusing on capital as the central force
> structuring social relations, depicted the operations of that force as
> everywhere uniform. By
> contrast, Althusserian accounts, focusing on power, see the operations
> of that force as
> variegated and as shifting over time

In the quotation you like so much, as far as I can tell the idea is that we should uphold universal rights and principles as long as we regard their meaning as contingent and constructed, subject to change and political contestation. Seems eminently reasonable. But can you explain how that's any different from John Stuart Mill?

For that matter, here's Mill on epistemology:

> Of nature, or anything whatever external to ourselves, we know . . .
> nothing, except the facts which present themselves to our senses, and
> such other facts as may, by analogy, be inferred from these...[This
> means that the] nature and laws of Things in themselves, or of the
> hidden causes of the phenomena which are the objects of experience
> [are] radically inaccessible to the human faculties.

Let's go on! This is from the Martha Nussbaum essay:

Here's something often attributed to our 19th Century social constructivist, though it's not clear if he actually said it:

> That which seems the height of absurdity in one generation often
> becomes the height of wisdom in the next.

No doubt Butler has offered original analyses of things like Althusserian interpellation or whatnot, but I'm sure that's not the reason you're into her. I'm trying to understand the appeal....

Seth