[lbo-talk] Thoughts on Butler

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jun 8 19:50:17 PDT 2008

Eubulides wrote:

> Nothing new there; philosophers have been pointing out problems with
> "the law" of the excluded middle for millennia.

Well it would appear they (the philosophers) have not yet found a way to express those problems in such a way as to force a wider circle of even the mor curious sectors of the masses (I like that old jargon because it finesses problems of class, which currently are in considerable confusion) to recognize, or at least incorporate into their thinking, a recognition of those "problems." One of the advantages, incidentally, of "difficult" prose (or verse), and an occasional motive atleast for making text _deliberately more "difficult" than necessary is that it is a barrier to quick and non-thoughtful comprehensions. Two of the most complex books in English fiction are _Mansfield Park_ and _Emma_, but because their prose is (seemingly) so "clear," assholes go on taking them as merely clear.

Carrol