[lbo-talk] Thoughts on Butler

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 8 23:22:55 PDT 2008

Chris Doss:

> Anglophone pomos imitate the bad translations from
> French. It would be as if a bunch of Chinese fans of
> Joyce were trying to write like Chinese translations
> of Ulysses.

John Holloway is guilty of this sort of thing. He is trying to write like Ernst Bloch, but *in English*.

One cannot write like Ernst Bloch in English, and one should not try.

I think this is a reason why a lot of people who might otherwise have some use for the form-analytical discussions of value and the state in _Change The World Without Taking Power_ are so irritated by the book, with all the histrionic discussion of "the scream" and "the separation between doing and done."

That sort of Marxian Gnosticism only works in Bloch's expressionist German, in English it makes one sound like an emo kid reading _Capital_.