[lbo-talk] Butler is not a classicist

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Tue Jun 10 02:57:45 PDT 2008

>>> <lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org> 06/10/08 4:21 AM >>>
From: shag <shag at cleandraws.com> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Butler is not a classicist

The book relates the courageous deeds of Antigone to the claims made by those whose relations are still not honored as those of proper kinship, showing how a culture of normative heterosexuality obstructs our capacity to see what sexual freedom and political agency

could be.

May I enquire from the partisans of Prof Butler exactly how the question of "political agency" raised above squares with her extravagantly expressed views on subjectivity? ("To require the subject means to foreclose the domain of the political") This is not a rhetorical question this time. I have no doubt that there is an answer -- probably one that I wouldn't accept -- but I would like to know what it is anyway. This is a question that I have been exploring in my own work on discourse for years, the conceptual relationship between agency and subjectivity. Tahir -------------- next part -------------- All Email originating from UWC is covered by disclaimer http://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/public/portal_services/disclaimer.htm