[lbo-talk] in which I'm accused of repressing the reptilian brain

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 00:49:35 PDT 2008

Well, Latin wasn't spoken outside Church and University contexts; it was read and written of course. So it wasn't dead the way, I dunno, Sanskrit is now dead. But it wasn't a living vernacular either.

The main nations responsible for the rediscovery of classical antiquity were the Arabs (duh). Italian and French scholars would copy raid and steal manuscripts preserved and extensively commented on by the great Arab scholars like Averroes and Avicenna, as we know them. This was centuries before Luther. The classic work (fascinating reading) is L.D. Reynolds, Scribes and Scholars, 3d ed,

http://www.amazon.com/Scribes-Scholars-Guide-Transmission-Literature/dp/0198721463/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

My old teacher Anthony Grafton has a whole series of wonderful, beautifully written, highly accessible books on the history of the transmission of culture, more early modern European than medieval. I recently read his book on Leon Batista Alberti. He also has a fun book on The Footnote and a study of forgeries that is a blast, among many other books.

Now all that said. Joanna, maybe you are talking about the 19th century use of the classics (by that time actually dead languages) by the likes of Jowett: "My name is Benjamin Jowett, I'm Master of Balliol College; Whatever is knowledge I know it, And what I don't know isn't knowledge," but in the days of Abelard, Aquinas, Occam, even Alberti, Latin was, you should pardon the expression, a Lingua Franca, the international language. Sure, the church served the interests of the rich, but that was not the first thing on the minds of the people I have mentioned, and the use of Latin in those days was as a tool of communication among scholars and clerics.

Latin was killed as a lingua franca by the scientific revolution; Bacon, Hobbes, Descartes, even Newton wrote some of their stuff in Latin, but their great works were in their several vernaculars, and Galileo made a point of writing in Tuscan. (As did Dante three hundred years before.) This made life hard on everyone because you had to learn French, English, German, Latin, and Greek to be an educated person, and if you were serious Hebrew (if you were a cleric) and Arabic (if you were a philosopher, at least until scholasticism was finally put down). Now English is the international language, so we Americans can be provincial ignoramuses again. Joanna, though, probably knows half a dozen languages, right? I have a colleague who knows 15! Not Latin or ancient Greek, though. Pretty soon we'll all have to learn Chinese, though, like Werner von Braun. ("In Cherman und Englisch, I know how to count down down, und I'm learning Chinese, says Werner von

Braun.")