[lbo-talk] hetersexuality ?

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Wed Jun 11 14:44:47 PDT 2008

(Chuck Grimes)

Depends on what you mean by "biological basis". If by basis you mean something like explanation or theory, well then it is obviously there in evolution. Heterosexuality is part of the mechanism for reproduction.. Tahir

That was Charles Brown's question. Something along the lines, is hetersexuality innate?

^^^^^ CB: I just want to emphasize I am saying it is innate for _some_ ( many, but not all) people. And that I still agree with Miles Jackson and others who emphasize social determination, that even for those who have an innate instinct it is also reinforced by social construction. My hypothesis is that sexual orientation, unlike just about everything else, has an especially large component of biological determination compared to other individual characteristics. I am a social or cultural determinist like Miles on almost all human characteristics.

Just to reiterate another very fundamental issue on these threads. I am interpreting Marxist materialism with respect to the Realm of Necessity or class divided to society to mean that biology determines society in this area _indirectly_. By that I mean, the provision of physiological/biological _necessities_ - food, water, shelter, sleep, air, protection from predators - is used to coerce exploited classes into producing surpluses for the exploiting classes by means of the coercive state power (special repressive apparatus; see Engels _The Origin of the Family , Private Property and the State_). Provision of biological necessities to ruled classes is conditional upon their following the ruling classes' rules.

>From the science point of view, I don't think we know, and trying to
think like a biologist, I not sure that's the right question to ask. I say that because it sets the path of thought toward genetics and the gene expression system for the underlying physiology.