[lbo-talk] Soviet Pop Music

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 15:14:16 PDT 2008

Poland was the least repressive of the Soviet-bloc countries. It was a pop culture Mecca.

I am not an expert on this, but MY UNDERSTANDING is that Soviet pop music was dominated by things like Sekret (this rather cheesy but catchy group: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2gnnywqKBQ&feature=related), singer-songwriters like Vysotsky and Okudzhava (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkGc8i78AE8) and of course Alla Pugacheva (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmDLR1QYNQY&feature=related ). Oh that is so delightfully Soviet cheesy. Those are all clips from Brezhnev-era Soviet TV by the way. There was the underground stuff for there's no footage of it since it wasn't permitted into the public sphere until Gorbachev.

I don't know anything in the modern era I wouldn't see on MTV, since I don't follow the stuff. Personally my favorite contemporary Russian bands are Mumyi Troll (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vVAx5wp-gY) and Leningrad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LsaY8bo03c ).

BTW the lead singer of Grazhdanskaya Oborona died a coupld of months ago from drinking ethanol.