[lbo-talk] Who knew? John McCain on disability, gets checks

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 21:39:01 PDT 2008

There is a thread/discussion/etc. @ Snopes.com about McCain's disability status (he is "retired/disabled"), getting untaxed benefit checks in the tens of thousands per year, running for Pres., married to a multi-multi-millionaire, and espousing a harder line for folks dependent on Social Security disability:

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=31592

Of course, the guy has also enjoyed cradle-to-present government supports in important aspects of his life -- like health care (socialized medicine since day 1, I believe) and job security (father was Navy royalty, basically). That he gets more for being disabled per year than many hard working folks make w/out govt benefits reflexively rubs me the wrong way, esp. knowing the odious policies he supports.

However, it is the sort of thing that could become an ugly argument pretty easily, and backfire if used against him if not handled _just_ so.

-B.

B. wrote:

"What's your take on someone of John McCain's means (and, well, abilities) receiving disability checks to the tune of $58,358 per year? Especially when his wife, the Anheuser-Busch/Budweiser heiress, makes hundreds of millions, they have 8 houses, etc.?"

John S Costello wrote:

"What I *am* against is the McCain campaign saying that he was 'tortured' for his country. Nothing that happened to McCain was 'torture,' by the standards of the Bush government -- standards which McCain upheld with his voting record in the Senate."