[lbo-talk] Who knew? John McCain on disability, gets checks

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 12 13:04:34 PDT 2008

B. wrote:
> Okay, so basically everyone (who's responded on
> LBO-Talk) thinks it's okay that McCain gets over $50K
> per year in untaxable, taxpayer benefits for being
> "retired" and "disabled" (not my words, the
> government's) even though he is a millionaire (on his
> own earning's, not his wife's) -- but, nonetheless,
> *is* married to a multi-, multi-millionaire beer
> heiress, and has 8 homes, etc.?
>
> Maybe I am victim to some reflexive, reactionary way
> of thinking here. But I mentioned the "McCain gets
> $50K+ per year for being disabled" to my girlfriend,
> who knew nothing about this, and her immediate,
> possible reactionary (???) response was, "John McCain
> gets over fifty thousand a year because he says he's
> retired and disabled, but he is running for President
> and is a millionaire??"
>
> So, is that kind of gut-level reaction just not the
> right to perceive this...?

My opinion is that since he's married and it should be considered household income and taxed. However I think all income should be taxed except the first $20K per individual $40K per household. I have no idea whether he's disabled but if he is then the Govt. has no right to deny tens of thousands of other disability claims that they deny every year. I know his disability is through the Armed Services but there really shouldn't be different standards of disability for service persons and another for civilians. As an ex-service person myself I think that's fucked up.

John Thornton