[lbo-talk] Who knew? John McCain on disability, gets checks

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jun 12 13:18:12 PDT 2008

John Thornton wrote:

> B. wrote:
> > Okay, so basically everyone (who's responded on
> > LBO-Talk) thinks it's okay that McCain gets over $50K
> > per year in untaxable, taxpayer benefits for being
> > "retired" and "disabled" (not my words, the
> > government's) even though he is a millionaire (on his
> > own earning's, not his wife's) -- but, nonetheless,
> > *is* married to a multi-, multi-millionaire beer
> > heiress, and has 8 homes, etc.?

We can't judge whether he is disable or not; that is a technical question, though leftists should insist on as genereous a definition of "disabled" as possible.

As to the relevance of household income to his pension; it is worse than wrong to claim that should make a difference. It is vicious and such judgments of merit have been rather central to the rightist movements of the last 35 years. No MEANS TESTs for benefits should be an absolutely non-negotiable left demand. Anything else is dancing with the enemy.

Carrol