[lbo-talk] Who knew? John McCain on disability, gets checks

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 12 14:49:18 PDT 2008

Carrol Cox wrote:
> John Thornton wrote:
>
>> B. wrote:
>>
>>> Okay, so basically everyone (who's responded on
>>> LBO-Talk) thinks it's okay that McCain gets over $50K
>>> per year in untaxable, taxpayer benefits for being
>>> "retired" and "disabled" (not my words, the
>>> government's) even though he is a millionaire (on his
>>> own earning's, not his wife's) -- but, nonetheless,
>>> *is* married to a multi-, multi-millionaire beer
>>> heiress, and has 8 homes, etc.?
>>>

> We can't judge whether he is disable or not; that is a technical
> question, though leftists should insist on as genereous a definition of
> "disabled" as possible.
>
> As to the relevance of household income to his pension; it is worse than
> wrong to claim that should make a difference. It is vicious and such
> judgments of merit have been rather central to the rightist movements of
> the last 35 years. No MEANS TESTs for benefits should be an absolutely
> non-negotiable left demand. Anything else is dancing with the enemy.
>
> Carrol

As I said I don't know if he's disabled and wouldn't venture a guess concerning it but if he is then he should support an equally generous definition of disabled for EVERYONE else. If he can perform to the level he does and receives X amount of dollars he has no right to insist anyone else who can preform to any lesser level should receive one cent less. I seriously doubt the man would favor such a system of disability disbursements but I have to admit I don't know for certain his stance on non-military persons disability benefits.

John Thornton