[lbo-talk] chuck: article on taste - smell - emotion - memory

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Jun 13 06:21:34 PDT 2008

chuck -- your ramblings on evolution, etc. reminded me of an article in The New Yorker. It's about this hot shot chef -- one of those ones who is into that new way of dealing with food where you don't cook it with flame but freeze it, pulverize it, all kinds of weird stuff based on chemistry -- who got tongue cancer. While it doesn't go into it as deep as someone like you would enjoy, it points at a host of ideas you might enjoy about the sensations of taste and smell. It's waaaaaaaaaaay more complex than anyone imagined. Fascinating.

BTW, i saw something about pheromons -- that this only insects had. was it you Chuck? Really? Because there's all these articles in the general press -- places like The Atlantic, The New Yorker -- that talk about pheromones and studies of humans. anyway, whoever said it was about insects only, I'd love more info.