[lbo-talk] the problem with Webb

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 13 14:44:49 PDT 2008

In his interesting new book, "Ain't My America: The Long, Noble History of Antiwar Conservatism and Middle-American Anti-Imperialism," Bill Kauffman writes, typically,

"The Republicans in the age of George W. Bush have become a war party, nothing less and certainly nothing more. Dissident GOP voices are rare and unwelcome echoes. Among the Democrats, it is the most culturally conservative national figures (Senators Robert Byrd of West Virginia and James Webb of Virginia) who have the guts and convictions to take on the Bush policy of hyperinterventionism."

Forced to choose between Webb and TNR, I'd take the former. --CGE