[lbo-talk] the problem with Webb

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 17:30:14 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 9:47 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Perhaps the most unappealing thing about Webb's worldview is that it
> seems to be built largely on resentment. In his book Born Fighting,
> you can practically feel the resentment coming off the page when he
> writes, "The slurs stick to me ... Rednecks. Trailer-park trash.
> Racists. Cannon fodder. My ancestors. My people. Me."

So what exactly is the problem? That Webb resents slurs against people with whom identifies? Is that supposed to surprise any of us here?

What elitist bullshit.

I can't imagine Just would dismiss racist or sexist slurs quite so cavalierly as these classist slurs, whatever his personal thoughts about them.