[lbo-talk] On doing google instead...

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 12:40:15 PDT 2008

CG:

On the other hand, when I am high believing my own bullshit, I often don't care if it is flat out wrong. I go back and forth on this issue. I don't usually mind being wrong, as long as I get corrected without too much distain and derision. Sometimes the fool isn't such a bad place to be. In fact, sometimes I think is worth the risk of being a fool, in order to learn.

I don't mind being wrong; it's unavoidable and, as you wrote, can lead to learning.

What I do try to avoid though, is douchebaggery -- i.e., confidently mouthing off like Lincoln at Gettysburg without performing even a moment's due diligence. In techie circles, (with joie de arrogance!) we routinely yell at people to Read the Fucking Manual (RTFM) or Read the Fucking Article before asking questions and asserting all over the place. Reasonable adults understand that even after R'ing TFM a person might still need help. But the quality of the questions asked (or opinions offered) will be higher and more precise.

Demanding!

.d.