[lbo-talk] exposeobama.com

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 21 02:45:23 PDT 2008

It's a play on their concept -- "expose Obama" -- since here he is "exposed" in nothing but swimming trunks, and also some have remarked he just plain looks goofy in that picture, which was featured heavily on supermarket checkout lane newsstand magazine overs some months back. That's my guess. Some thought it was kind of a goofy picture, not on the level of Ted Kennedy in speedos on a yacht, but still kinda goofy.

Of course, people who *already* dislike Obama think he looks goofy and "un-Presidential" in the picture and it just panders to their biases, whereas people predisposed to supporting him think it's a nice, innocent, aw shucks, he's having fun like a normal person"-type picture. It just plays to biases some people already have about him and to them it looks foolish. The right would like pictures like this to get the same traction that pictures of John Kerry snowboarding or in heavy hunting gear received in '04. I think the picture is funny in its own way, but not vote-changingly funny. It's not as bad as bare chested, brawny Putin striding down a creek in camo pants.

It's like a liberal site showing Bush in cowboy gear. To us it looks absurd and laughable. But to a ot of people it's a touching, "he's a man's man, average Joe" kind of picture. That's how Obama frolicking in the waves seems to resonate among the GOP base.

-B.

shag wrote:

"ok. help me out here. at the web site, exposeobama.com, i see a masthead image which appears to contain a picture of obama splashing in the ocean. i get that they're trying to associate him with evil liberals and "bad negroes" like sharpton, but what on earth is wrong with swimming trunks and ocean waves? http://www.exposeobama.com/obamamast9.gif"