[lbo-talk] Butler

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Jun 21 13:24:32 PDT 2008

i posted a lengthy excerpt here, http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20080602/009542.html

However, the link to the .pdf on my old web site was dead, so I reposted the .pdf on cleandraws.com. The essay in question is "Contingent Foundations: Feminism and the Question of 'Postmodernism'", a chapter in the book co-edited with Joan Scott (http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0415902746/ref=sib_dp_bod_toc?ie=UTF8&p=S006#reader-link ).

The chapter is up at cleandraws.com:

http://cleandraws.com/butler_contingentfoundations.pdf

(In general, "here" should be understood as Butler's position to begin with: it began in Gender Trouble as a _critique_ of social constructionism. Her intended audience was social constructionists, IOW. We had been discussing Butler's social constructionism, which Seth Ackerman has illustrated with a quote from Gender Trouble -- if I recall correctly.

I posted the Contingent Foundations essay to help clear a few misconceptions Seth had. Which reminds me: seth asked a question about that. I read it at work, so completely forgot to remind myself to read the question again and reply. Sorry Seth. Right now, I'm shoulder deep in paint and saw dust and sweat.