[lbo-talk] black primary turnout

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Jun 23 12:05:40 PDT 2008

Charles Brown wrote:

> CB: You can probably believe Joaquin and my anecdotal , but probably
> representative sampled, observations of Black people's attitudes over
> this particular poll on this point. Black people are more enthusiastic
> for Obama 'cause he is Black and worthy of their pride, i.e. it is
> "nationalistic". Sure they can't stand Bush and the Republicans as well,
> but that's a negative reason, and doesn't give as much enthusiasm as the
> positives of O.
>
> But the reason lefts should be cheered by O's success ( including
> touching the Dem Party with a ten foot pole) is the large number of
> _Whites_ voting for him. It's not new or surprising that Black people
> would support a Black candidate. It is that so many Whites are.

1. Black people support O because he's black.

2. Black people do not care whether Obama is for black issues per se. They are "energized" because he's black and representing.

3. We should care, not that blacks are voting for Obama. Blacks always vote for democrats in large numbers and, of course, blacks are naturally going to vote for blacks because they are one of their own.

4. Rather, we should care because whites are voting for a black man.

5. Whites voting for a black man is a sign of that they've been "energized".

6. Obama is taking care not to appear too progressive, but that's just because he's a savvy politician, biding his time.

shag -- http://cleandraws.com Wear Clean Draws ('coz there's 5 million ways to kill a CEO)