[lbo-talk] black primary turnout

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 23 13:28:48 PDT 2008

shag wrote:
> Charles Brown wrote:
>> B: You can probably believe Joaquin and my anecdotal , but probably
>> representative sampled, observations of Black people's attitudes over
>> this particular poll on this point. Black people are more enthusiastic
>> for Obama 'cause he is Black and worthy of their pride, i.e. it is
>> "nationalistic". Sure they can't stand Bush and the Republicans as well,
>> but that's a negative reason, and doesn't give as much enthusiasm as the
>> positives of O.
>>
>> But the reason lefts should be cheered by O's success ( including
>> touching the Dem Party with a ten foot pole) is the large number of
>> _Whites_ voting for him. It's not new or surprising that Black people
>> would support a Black candidate. It is that so many Whites are.
>>

> 5. Whites voting for a black man is a sign of that they've been "energized".
>
> 6. Obama is taking care not to appear too progressive, but that's just
> because he's a savvy politician, biding his time.
>

> shag

You really believe #5 and #6? Couldn't you just as easily state that had Clinton won having white blue collar men voting for a woman was something we should embrace and a sign that these voters were 'energized'? The available evidence suggest the opposite of #6 may be true. Remember, all that anti-Nafta stuff was just Obama using "overheated rhetoric" and saying stuff he didn't really mean. He reversed his promise on public financing of his campaign because of the non-existent threat from the 527's that are allegedly poised to spend "millions and millions in unlimited donation" attacking and smearing him. Breaking with the parties left and supporting crappy legislation concerning FISA wiretapping. What else did he get carried away and say that he doesn't really mean either? He's doing a bang up job of not appearing too progressive so far!

John Thornton