[lbo-talk] If you support AT&T - you support Bush

Mark Rickling mrickling at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 06:28:52 PDT 2008

Just received this in my inbox:

Does your cell phone speak for you?‏ From: Teresa Stack, President (info at thenation.com)

Dear Friend of The Nation: I am writing to you because I believe you to be someone who cares about progressive values and someone who would like to know about companies that support sustainability and social change.

You belong to our valued community of Nation magazine readers and website visitors, and we want to let you know about a phone company, CREDO Mobile, that is also part of our circle.

CREDO Mobile is truly a different kind of phone company. Along with world-class service and competitive rates, CREDO donates a portion of members' charges to progressive nonprofits. More than a phone service, CREDO Mobile also helps its members speak up for causes they believe in. Last summer they mobilized their members to protest the egregious burden the U.S. Postal Service put on independent publications such as The Nation, when Time Warner was allowed to produce new pricing guidelines. Does your cellphone company do that?

CREDO Mobile covers the issues you care about, like social justice, peace and the environment. To date, CREDO donated $60 million to groups like Greenpeace, the ACLU and Planned Parenthood.

What causes do those other cellphone companies give money to? Some of the major carriers in the U.S. gave large contributions to both Bush/ Cheney campaigns. They also lobby in Washington for greater control of your Internet.

Does it make sense to support mobile phone companies that send your money to right-wing causes? If your answer is no then you might want to consider CREDO Mobile, brought to you by Working Assets.

I know that switching your cellphone is a big step and I believe you understand the connection between the choices you make and the kind of world we create. So why not switch to the mobile service that truly speaks for you? CREDO Mobile will give you a free phone and will pay your "early termination fees," up to $200.* Click here for more details.

Thank you for reading The Nation, visiting our website and for supporting companies that share our vision, values and dreams for a socially and economically just society.

Sincerely,

Teresa Stack, President