[lbo-talk] black primary turnout

sawicky at verizon.net sawicky at verizon.net
Tue Jun 24 07:55:55 PDT 2008

Created under Nixon actually, signed into law by Ford shortly after Nixon's departure.

The block grant movement was a Nixon device to transition Federal spending away

from uppity community action types towards state and local governments (sweetening

the pot in the process).  So you could argue it was a concession to social movements

and a Democrat-dominated Congress.