[lbo-talk] Obama defends capital punishment for child rape; Nation apologizes for him

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 26 08:22:59 PDT 2008

--- On Thu, 6/26/08, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> [I gotta say I'm surprised by the awfulness of this.
> Obama's moving
> further to the right more quickly than even I would have
> guessed. The
> states rights position is a nice touch.]
>
> <http://wsws.org/articles/2008/jun2008/obam-j26.shtml>
>
> Obama attacks US Supreme Court decision barring death
> penalty for
> child rape

[WS:] Why does it suprise you? The US is a barbaric, war-mongering country responsible for millions of deaths around the world. Popular sentiments are highly supportive of bombing other countries to the stone age and killing and torturing people perceived as a threat to the "American way of life." Why does it surprise you, when a politician aligns him- or her-self with such sentiments in an attempt to muster the majority of popular votes? In so doing, he/she merely expresses the inner soul of the American people.

PS. Given the death, destruction, and suffering that the US armed hordes inflicted on the rest of the world, I find this obsession with death penalty imposed on Americans disingenuous. It is like crying over the roses when the house is on fire. Who gives a shit?

Wojtek