[lbo-talk] sprinting rightwards

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Fri Jun 27 19:34:12 PDT 2008

Oh fiddlesticks.

You like to say there is no "left." Well consider there is no DP. There is a political process with certain rules, not always observed. There are diverse personalities, power centers, voters with a stew of prejudices, conceptions, and incomplete information. Moreover this process does not invariably yield the same result. Sometimes there is progress, other times regress. Medicare was progress. So was a bunch of regulatory reform in the 70s. E.P. Thompson said the working class is not a thing, it's a "happening."

Your position is fundamentally ahistorical. The DP cannot injure us unless there is something to take away. But if something is taken away, how did it get there in the first place. Harry Truman was an S.O. B., but he might have given us national health insurance.

The system is elastic. It gives way to pressure. Some politicians facilitate this, those that will not when it is necessary are discarded, not because some Mr. Big decides it's time for them to go, but because of the complex interplay of political forces from below and above.

I can be as demoralized as anyone. But I'm not going to construct a philosophy based upon that.