[lbo-talk] crazy saturday morning

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Sat Jun 28 16:37:42 PDT 2008

Rule #1024: never get up early Saturday morning vowing to `do something' about the computer system.

This morning bright and early I violated #1024 by installing Ubuntu on my first disk drive. Everything went well. I got up on the internet, got my printer working, but mail seemed a little tricky.

Then I rebooted expecting to see my dual boot screen so I could choose FreeBSD and check my mail. Computer booted to Ubuntu. No dual boot. I had erased it by installing a new OS which off course erased the dual boot manager!

When I started FreeBSD off the CD I dutifully picked the second drive to install a bootmanager, but the system refused to write the MBR.

I have forgotten all the little tricks about doing all this stuff. Somewhere in my haze I think I managed to overwrite the original partition and slice info on the second disk. I then proceeded to re-install FreeBSD and got through about have the installation when the CD hung. It looks like the CD disk itself is damaged with a scratch.

Finally turned on Doug's morning show but couldn't concentrate on it.

This is also a test to see if the old iBook I got last weekend works. It seems to...

CG