[lbo-talk] sprinting rightwards

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jun 29 08:10:51 PDT 2008

Chuck Grimes wrote:

> We know Obama sucks, can we move on from that premise? There is a
> certain concentration
> on on this point that is becoming annoying.Personally I am tired of
> hiring how Obama sucks.
> I get it. What is the continuous point in bringing it up over and
> over and over?

The elections became tiresome long ago. Posts dealing with them are interesting if you merely pick more or less at random about every seventh post or so to glance at. Buried in them (and carefully avoided for the most part) are two questions of abstract -- i.ee. relevant to action* -- importance.

1. Is there any probability of left liberals or liberals affecting state action throgh participation in electoral politics. (This finesses the question of whether or not electoral politics make a difference, since it focuses on whether we can make a difference to electoral politics, to which I say No. So even if it is desirable for Obama to be elected it is not desirable for anyone on this list to work for his election.)

2. Is there any possibility of present ctivity by leftists or left liberals having a future impact (assuming our relation to the election cnnot)? I'm not sure on this point -- but that very uncertainty is itself an answer. Our most important activity now is theoretical, aimed at arriving at a deeper understanding of the possibility of action in the current conjunction.

Carrol

*The future is abstract. The meaning of action is in the future. Hence only abstraction is r3elevant to action.