[lbo-talk] sprinting rightwards

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 11:50:07 PDT 2008

Indeed. Is it so unthinkable to that a person concerned with social justice might go to church, or be in a fraternity? Of course, this debate is about whether or not to participate in mainstream politics and organizations as a way to counter the right, and no one has proposed joining the far-right itself (the young repulicans). But many catholics, like the rest of society, have a variety of views on all sorts of issues, some contradictory, some ill-informed, some left- leaning and some right, some critically prescient and some socially conscious. Ditto for members of college fraternities, which are part of the mainstream of university life on college campuses and are hardly replicas of the caricatures from movies and jokes that we countercultural types sometimes stereotype to.

My housemate's dad is a retired teamster who is a liberal-leaning catholic; he votes dem and occasionally participates in a small social justice group from his church that lobbies politicians against things like cafta, but he is also opposed to abortion and probably gay marriage; in conversations he can often be moved by my housemate or I on one issue or another (and at times sounds downright like a bolshevik when talking about the gap between the rich and the poor in america today), but make no mistake, he has a sincerely socially conservative streak. Back in Richmond I used to do some political work with the few young black members of the local NAACP, who were introduced to college through the black fraternities, which make up an enormous part of the social life of educated blacks in the south.

Is the left having anything to do with such people so preposterously laughable to you? What does that portend for the future of your politics, which shrink smaller and smaller every year, increasingly the redoubt of true believers on listserves? Is the point to win, and change society and impact the world? If so, do we need to be smaller, or bigger? Are we looking only for people exactly like us, or are we interested in the lives and thoughts of working people who may (gasp) pray in a group of people on sundays, or (shudder) joined a fraternity or sorority instead SDS when they went to a state school to get a trade?