[lbo-talk] Imperialism

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 1 10:14:14 PST 2008

Joaquin Bustelo:

> Imperialism is the system.

OK. System of what? What are the defining characteristics of the system?

Fill in these blanks for me:

Imperialism means __________. It is defined by __________ as distinct from ______________.

> loot and rape the rest of the world [...] a way of
> covering up who the criminals are, and who the
> victims are.

More moralism. This sort of thing is probably necessary for writing agitational leaflets or call for a demo, but also just confirms my suspicion that imperialism is a moral term, not an analytical one.

The problem with such vague terminology is its elasticity. Thus the "how many angels on the head of a pin" sort of debates like the one about whether China is an imperialist country, where the conclusions reached are ultimately based upon one's subjective moral attitudes towards China, and not any analytical criteria.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping