[lbo-talk] econ policy, HRC vs BHO

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Sat Mar 1 11:56:04 PST 2008

John Gulick wrote:
> MBS wrote:
>> I think you might agree that it will take a lot more than labor/green
>> clauses -- which I support -- in trade agreements to help manufacturing
>> workers in the U.S. So even if BHO folded on NAFTA, as HRC surely will,
>> it wouldn't make that much of a difference. More to the point would be
>> thinking about what sort of renegotiation would help Mexico.
>
> JG fruitlessly opines:
>
> True, true enough. But are either of the candidates "thinking about what
> sort of renegotiation would help Mexico"? Of course not, as you would
> readily admit... and nor would a perspicacious observer such as you or

Actually they have all sorts of policy groups thinking about everything, so I wouldn't doubt that is somewhere in the mix. What they come up with is anybody's guess.

> me (if I may flatter the two of us) expect them to... so why then, the
> inordinate time and energy devoted to chasing the Obama phantasm?
> Well, I guess we all have our insalubrious private reasons... God knows
> my life circurmstances are wedging me into a pathetic corner (having
> little to do with US bourgeois electoral endorsements).

I have a secure (I hope) civil service job and no need to chase phantasms of any sort. As for AG, he is really not very ideological in a good or bad sense. I see him as an empiricist, smart and objective, with no reason to dislike him. You can't be furious with everybody who does not share your point of view. At least, I can't.