[lbo-talk] The State and Capitalism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 4 13:00:42 PST 2008

On Mar 4, 2008, at 3:43 PM, Angelus Novus wrote:

> In a communist society, by definition, the requirement
> of more labor to produce the granny smith apple would
> be irrelevant.

How's that? Suppose one kind is more likely to spoil than the other? Or requires more water or fertilizer, or a certain kind of climate? Marx said somewhere that the allocation of time is the fundamental social problem - I don't see how that can be overcome in a "communist" society, unless that's a pure myth.

In any case, getting from here to there is a journey of many steps, and I'm at a loss for figuring out the cue sheet for those steps. At least social democracy and central planning are relatively easy to conceive.

Doug