[lbo-talk] Obama the devious & slippery opportunist

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Mar 5 09:29:49 PST 2008

> On Wed, 5 Mar 2008, shag wrote:
>
>>> The reason they feel this at Obama rallies and not Clinton rallies is
>>> that Obama's got charisma: the ability to say things in the right way
>>> to get them to resonate in a crowd. And to play and build on that
>>> resonance.
>>
>> but all the research on this shows that they feel it at clinton rallies,
>> too.
>
> Huh? People are just as excited by Clinton? Nobody's seems to be
> reporting that.

what you describe -- collective effervesence -- is common to any gathering like this. so I don't see what you describe happening at an obama rally as unique to an obama rally and, therefore, something that can explain that enthusiasm for a candidate who isn't different.

more on the rest, later, but I'm taking this from your earlier commentary here where you invoke Weber's discussion of charisma with both obama and reagan (pasted below). i completely agree with your more durkheimian analysis -- and i'd certainly say there is plenty of ritual. it's secular ritual, the kind bellah et al discuss in _habits of the heart_. bellah famously developed studies of civil religion. obama plays on that quite a bit and from my brief reading of his past, he's steeped in a lot of the civil society literature.

where i'd say he's charismatic is in the sense of a definition of it applied by a scholar in intellectual history. he was applying it to ken kesey. a charismatic leader tells people who they are. what he does in his speeches is, as you say, tell people who they are by constantly invoking the _we_. we can do this, we can do that, i'm going to need your help, we're all in this together.

clinton, very noticeably, is all about what clinton can do.

in fact, my partner this morning called out from the living room to tell me that, on the news, they were chanting, "Yes SHE can" repeatedly.

to me, this is an interesting difference and is what gets at the heart of what's going on. you were getting at it too. teflobama is telling people who they are -- and isn't it interesting that there appears to be such a need for that? people want to know who they are because they're tired of being unique little snowflakes. just like everybody else.

anyway, i'm being bugged at work. later later