[lbo-talk] Obama the devious & slippery opportunist

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Mar 5 10:43:23 PST 2008

> It just occurred to me. You didn't grow up with tv did you
> Carrol? No Andy Griffith or Twilight Zone reruns when you were a
> kid--- no vague childhood memories of watching movie of the week with
> the grown-ups on Saturday or Sunday night or staying up late to watch
> monster movies on Friday nights--- no Saturday morning cartoons?
>
> I think this would go a long way in explaining why you are baffled by
> tv's attractions.

i agree. Carrol, i'd say that 50% of the people I know _sleep_ with the television on. I crap you negative -- and I think there are studies to that effect. A woman I met in graduate school was all embarrassed to say that she had the t.v. on constantly, even when she studied, read, ate, cleaned, got dressed for work/class. To her surprise, a bunch of other people piped up to say they did too.

I agree with you in so far as picking up on Teflobama's charisma via engagement in rallies is probably pretty rare by comparison. Of all the Teflobama supporters at work, only one showed up at his speech the night before the vote. Not that many people actually see him live to be influenced by him in person. Where I'd guess people get most of their information is from TV soundbites aired on the news stations. They are also constantly *told* he's a charismatic speaker.