[lbo-talk] what chutzpah

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Fri Mar 7 00:15:45 PST 2008

On Thu, March 6, 2008 7:08 pm, Dennis Perrin wrote:

> Personally, I'm enjoying all this. I despise the Clintons, so part of me
> wants to see them lose and lose badly; but I also hate the Obama worship
> and starry-eyed libs. Fuck it -- let 'em beat each other senseless. Does
> our war culture deserve any less?

I couldn't agree more. The Demublicans love their Empire, and the Rethugs hate the Empire's enemies. There are a few decent politicians here and there, but the US political overclass is profoundly and utterly worthless. Obama/Clinton represent a neoliberal restoration, no more.

That said, I'm more hopeful now than I've been in a long, long time. Nothing is going to save this Empire from itself. Its credit superstructures are being eaten alive by its own toxic speculations and military madness, its symbolic and cultural legitimacy is in smoking ruins. But neither the Dems -- nor Ralph Nader, alas -- are going to magically create a post-Imperial politics for us. It's going to take a third party, committed artists and intellectuals, powerful social movements, and a feisty labor movement.

-- DRR