[lbo-talk] gender guesser

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 10 16:52:17 PDT 2008

Jenny Brown wrote:
>> Guesses the sex of the author of a piece of prose:
>>
>> <http://www.hackerfactor.com/GenderGuesser.html#Analyze>.
>>
>> I'm 63-75% male.
>>
>> Doug
>>

> And I'm, apparently, 65-85% male (3 samples). I'm vaguely insulted.
>
> John Thornton noted that the site cautions:
>
>> "In particular, men should not be offended if it says
>> you write like a girl."
>>

> Leaving aside the appalling use of 'girl' there, what about the other way around?
>
> Jenny Brown

Presumably the website designer isn't concerned about "girls" being offended by the suggestion they write like men. How could you be offended by the suggestion that you emulate the superior gender? Anyway I assumed the use of girl was to make the caution appear humorous. The old school yard epithet "you (run, throw, kick, whatever) like a girl" and all that.

John Thornton