[lbo-talk] The State and Capitalism

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 11 12:52:17 PDT 2008

Miles Jackson wrote:
> John Thornton wrote:
>
>> With the exception of the anarcho-primitivists who would have everyone
>> subsistence farm or some such nonsense I've yet to see any serious
>> proposal about how such a society would function. I'm being generous
>> including anarcho-primitivists ideas as serious but while undesirable it
>> is possible so feel I should I include it.
>>
>> John Thornton
>> ___________________________________
>>

> It's important to keep in mind that money is a relatively recent
> innovation in human societies. For the vast majority of our existence
> on this planet, humans have done quite nicely without currency, so
> there's certainly nothing natural or inevitable about currency-based
> economies. And just as many people in slave-owning societies couldn't
> imagine what life would be like without slaves, many people in our
> currency-based society cannot imagine life without money.
>
> Note that this is not an argument in favor of "anarcho-primitivism"
> (whatever that is). It's a reiteration of the fact that many social
> conditions that are considered inevitable at time A turn out to be
> socially malleable at time B.
>
> Miles

There was no time when people could not theorize about how life would be without slaves. they simply chose not to theorize about such a society and to maintain the status quo. How would one theorize a moneyless society that was not in the mold of anarcho-primitivism and would not be more exploitative than capitalism? If no one can propose any seriously plausible theory about how such a society would be structured then imaging oneself working towards that goal is literally insane.

John Thornton